Labour Market - June 2020
Atlantic Labour Market in Recovery Mode
based on Labour Force Survey, June 2020
- Today’s job report shows the economic recovery is continuing. Atlantic Canada gained 59,000 jobs in June, following the increase of 38,000 in May.
- While positive, there are still 75,000 (6.6%) fewer people working in June than in February.
- Atlantic Canada has recovered 57% of the 171,000 jobs lost in March and April. This is a faster rebound than nationally (41% job recovery). New Brunswick leads the country on this measure, with a 79% recovery of jobs lost.
- Hours worked have also rebounded, and are now down 12% year-over-year in Atlantic Canada.
- Several groups including women (especially those with children), youth and those in lower paying jobs continue to lag the recovery in employment.