COMMUNICATIONS & EVENT ASSISTANT
The Atlantic Provinces Economic Council (APEC) is an independent non-profit economic and policy research organization that is dedicated to supporting a healthy, inclusive and sustainable economy.
Communications is critical to our work as all our research is shared in writing and visually whether online,in social media, in presentations, webinars or media interviews. As we increase our digital focus, we need to expand and enhance our communications capacity. We arelooking for someone who can contribute their time, skills and ideas to help advance our mission.
APEC is looking for a Communications and Event Assistant to assist with implementing our communications strategy, digital content development, database management and analytics, and eventcoordination. There may also be opportunities to assist with graphic design and layout.
The selected individual will assist with some or all of the following:
- Daily communications activities, including:
- Creating and implementing a communications plan for individual reports
- Drafting and scheduling press releases
- Drafting and scheduling event and publication emails
- Drafting, scheduling, and monitoring social media content
- Website updates and content creation as needed
- Membership communications including creating and updating email templates, drafting quarterly member update and other member reports.
- Event coordination including registration, logistics and liaison with speakers, sponsors and event providers
- Utilizing data analytics to drive decision-making and prepare regular internal and external reports
- Creation of our annual report and other marketing materials for event promotion, membership along with layout/design of research reports
- Creating digital content for reports, publications, membership, events
- Database updates, including for media and member contacts
- Strong communications background and understanding of digital communications
- Outstanding digital literacy, quickly able to master new software and platforms
- Experience using social media platforms and social media scheduling apps
- Well-organized, accurate and with strong attention to detail
- Comfortable in Microsoft Suite - Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Publisher
- Experience in any of the following areas would be helpful but is not required:
- Content management system
- Member-based platforms
- Data analytics, such as for website, social media and member platforms
- Event and webinar planning
- Editing and proof-reading
- Layout and graphic design, including Adobe Creative Suite - InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Event photography
- Audio/video production
- This is an entry-level position, ideal as a new graduate opportunity; compensation will be competitive with the local market and the applicant’s experience.
- This is a contract, full-time position (35 hours per week). Start date is September 5, 2022 and runs until December 16, 2022, with the possibility of extension until April 2023.
- Regular APEC working hours are 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday. Flexible work arrangements can be negotiated in accordance with APEC’s employee policies.
- APEC’s staff have traditionally been based in our Halifax office. However, this position is open to anyone able to live and work within an easy commute of any of the major Atlantic cities in which we hold events (Halifax, Moncton, Saint John, Fredericton, Charlottetown and St. John’s).
- This is a remote-working opportunity. Must have access to a reliable personal computer, high-speed internet, and the ability to videoconference via Zoom and MS Teams. Remote employees are required to videoconference on a weekly basis.
Please email your merged cover letter and resume by Monday, July 25 at NOON to:
Communications Manager, APEC
Subject Line: Communications & Event Assistant
The Atlantic Provinces Economic Council (APEC) is the source for independent research, insights and ideas vital to supporting a healthy, inclusive and sustainable Atlantic Canadian economy. Potential applicants are encouraged to visit https://www.apec-econ.ca/about-us/to learn more about our values and our research activities and events. We would like to thank all those who apply for this position but only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
APEC provides a work environment that supports equality, teamwork, fairness and respect among all employees. All employment decisions are made without consideration of age, colour, creed, disability, ethnic or national origin, family status, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, political belief, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or source of income.