- All Atlantic provinces closed in-room dining and bars by the third week of March 2020, restricting sales to take-out.
- Some Atlantic full-service restaurants have opted to shut-down completely, rather than offer take-out. Some popular drive-thrus (e.g., Tim Hortons) are reporting difficulty finding staff, while some limited-service restaurants (e.g., McDonalds) have closed take-out and are only offering drive-thru services.
- APEC estimates this industry will see upwards of $0.8 billion in lost sales during the second quarter of 2020 (April to June).
- Approximately $0.25 billion in regional sales should be maintained over this period via sales at take-outs and drive-thrus.
- Employment has been reduced substantially.
For more information on how COVID-19 is impacting Atlantic restaurants and bars, see our industry assessment page.